IRS change of address – 4 ways to change yours

Why you need to make an IRS change of address?

The only way the IRS will communicate with you is via snail mail. While you may not care if they know where you live, you will when it comes to tax refunds or stimulus checks. The IRS always needs your current address. Fortunately, it’s easy to make an IRS change of address any time of year.

Here are the simple steps:

File your taxes to change your address with the IRS

The easiest way to change your address with the IRS is to file your taxes with your new address. When the IRS processes your return, they will update their records with your new address. You don’t have to file any extra paperwork or talk to anyone.

Call the IRS

If you prefer to make the change verbally, you can call the IRS. Use our guide on how to speak with a live agent at the IRS for less waiting time. Individuals should call 1-800-829-1040. The IRS is available from 7 AM to 7 PM local time. To make an IRS change of address over the phone, you need to prove your identity.  You can do so by providing your Social Security number and birthdate, your name, and your old address.

Once you provide the information for your new address, the IRS will update their system accordingly.

IRS change of address

Write to the IRS to make an IRS change of address

You can also write to the IRS using Form 8822, Change of Address. The form takes only a few seconds to complete. You must provide the following information:

  • Your name
  • Spouses name
  • Social Security number for you and your spouse
  • Any prior names of you and your spouse
  • The old address for you and your spouse (separate if different)
  • New address

You must both sign the form and mail it to the appropriate office as noted on the instructions. The location varies based on the state you reside.

If you don’t have access to Form 8822, you can also send a written statement with the same information stated above. It needs to include the signature of both you and your spouse if applicable. You can mail the written declaration to the same office you sent your last tax return.

As per IRS website:

The following replaces the “Where To File” addresses on page 2 of Form 8822 (Rev. October 2015).

  • If you checked the box on line 2, send Form 8822 to:

Department of the Treasury
Internal Revenue Service Center
Kansas City, MO 64999-0023.

  • If you did not check the box on line 2, send Form 8822 to the address shown here that applies to you.

Using the Post Office Change of Address Service

You can use the post office’s change of address service, but if you’re expecting a refund check, the post office may not forward it. If you recently filed your taxes, you can let the post office know of your address change. However, it is best to use one of the steps above to let the IRS know directly. That way, you don’t miss out on any checks or crucial communications.

Final Thoughts

Tell the IRS of a change of address as soon as possible. Even if it’s not tax time, you never know when they may need to communicate with you. While the post office change of address service is reliable, it’s best to let the IRS know directly of your new address to prevent any problems.

For 8822 is to be used for Individual, Gift, Estate, or Generation-Skipping Transfer Tax Returns. For businesses and other entities with an Employer Identification Number application on file, use Form 8822-B to notify the Internal Revenue Service if you changed:

  • Business mailing address.
  • Business location.
  • Identity of your responsible party.

Note: Changes in responsible parties must be reported to the IRS within 60 days.

You can also call the IRS with the above information to change your address. Follow these instructions to reach a live agent at the IRS.